Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The first day of summer

First day of summer work. No big deal, right? Well for me it was. I had an absolutely splendid time yesterday with my sweet best friends, played frisbee and volleyball until dark, moved in my little brother. Just a wonderful day. I am so thankful. Off to bed in my new room with my precious sister as my roommate. I'm pumped about this summer.

A few things happened this week that were crazy. Because of the tornado in Oklahoma, my church is having a last minute mission trip to Moore to help alongside of an organization we believe in. Pastor Neil mentioned this in second service at church and it immediately caught my attention. I prayed over it all through the service and as we walked into the lobby, I made a bee line to the information desk to sign up. God would make this happen if it was right. I immediately started sending out emails to get the weekend plans taken care of. Babysitting at church all day Saturday and then finding out if I would be able to get off early two hours early on Friday to leave out with the group that afternoon. One email came back with an excited "No problem, do what is on your heart, girlie!" and another came back a little more stressed. New work station, new bosses, new stresses.

All in all, I was pretty nervous about going to work today. Nervous falling asleep didn't help, and as the nightmares raged, I woke up to unfamiliar sounds. Alarms. Alarms were going off all around me, and I couldn't tell what was going on. I squinted to catch a glimpse of the clock which read 4:30am. Hair still damp from crawling in bed around midnight and body aching from the workout I had done the morning before, I jumped down out of my bed and looked outside. "Those aren't for us, are they?", I asked to Christi. Well they were. RA's were running down the hall, out of breath and yelling, "Wake up, the alarms are going off!" as they banging on the doors on our floor. Christi and I grabbed a pillow, our keys, and headed down the emergency route to the outside world with 100+ other girls. And there we sat, all half asleep and confused as to what had jolted us from sleep.

The alarms had malfunctioned, and randomly going off. We were instructed to proceed as if it were a fire emergency. Then the lightning came. A storm blew in, rain coming down on 100+ girls, as security scrambled to get a building opened up. Thankfully, one of my sweet friends, Hillary and her roommate invited us to take refuge in their car, so we held up in there until the alarms were turned off and we were given the all clear.

Nice way to start your first day of summer. Christi and I came back to our rooms and I tried to get a few minutes of sleep before my alarm went off at 5:50. I did, and then Christi and I got started on some "pop-Pilates" which should be known as killer, because I have never been this sore in my life.  We did our workout, grabbed coffee, and got ready for the day. We met Stephen outside and went to breakfast, then shortly thereafter it was time for us all to start something new: Christi training, Stephen work at college, and a new workstation for me.

This summer I am incredibly blessed to work in Christian Ministries while I cross train to take over the position as Camp Lookout Office Coordinator. I have incredibly bosses, and I am so excited about it. I worked 11 hours today, since I didn't work yesterday, and at $18 an hour, you don't want to be down any. At least I don't. Long day, but a good day. I am looking forward to a summer of a little more relaxation than the last. And you will most likely be getting a letter or two from me, as I have a lot more free time at work that I can use to catch up with you all.

Tomorrow is a new day, and also a 12 shift.

Blessings and peace,

Bethan

No comments:

Post a Comment